Philco Model 41-245T Table Radio (1941)
This very stylish ac-powered radio from 1941 has a 7-tube line-up and covers three bands, standard
broadcast (540-1720kc), short-wave band 1 (2.0-7.0mc) and short-wave band 2 (9.0 - 12.0mc). It
features electric push-button tuning, a Philco built-in American and Overseas aerial system and a
continuously variable tone control with bass boost. Tube line-up is:- XXL (triode mixer), XXL (LO), 7B7
(1st IF), 7B7 (2nd IF), 7C6 (2nd-detector/AVC/1st AF), 7B5 (af output), 7Y4 (rectifier). The circuit is very
similar to the 41-230, though that model has no electric tuning. This is a very nice-sounding and sensitive
radio. It pulls in stations that many other much bigger radios don't even seem to know are there!
I came by this radio following a late afternoon cell phone call from a relative, who was visiting an antiques
store. Amazingly, I was at that very moment driving nearby so I called in to take a look. At first I was a little
disappointed, in spite of its give-away $15 asking price (see here). The tenite escutcheon was badly
warped, with one of the side-pieces bent at an acute angle and I wasn't sure it could be salvaged.
Moreover, the grille cloth had a very noticeable hole. "We understand" said the assistant, seeing my
face, "a lot of people have come in and looked at it but passed". However, to its credit, the finish was
practically mint, the chassis was super clean and it looked to still have all its original Philco tubes. At that
moment I decided it had a lot of potential and decided to take a chance on the escutcheon and buy it.
After all, I thought, the knobs alone are worth at least the asking price.
Upon arriving home I used the internet to do a little research into straightening tenite and immediately
moved a much higher-end radio (that was not proving to be a very interesting restoration) off the
work-bench and started on this one. I used a heat gun on low and some gentle persuasion to straighten
the escutcheon. I removed the grille cloth, effected some careful repair and re-installed it upside down to
obscure much of what remained of the original damage. Then I cleaned the cabinet and dial glass,
touched up the black lacquer trim and rubbed the finish to a beautiful shine using Novus #2. Finally I
replaced the line cord, re-capped the chassis and cleaned all the mechanical parts. It was soon playing
charmingly! Not much more to say, other than that I'm ecstatic about how it turned out and glad I didn't
pass it by!